Electronic benefit transfer (EBT) is an electronic system that allows state welfare departments to issue benefits using a magnetically encoded payment card used in the United States. EBT cards are issued by each US state. All EBT cards are magstripe only, function like a debit card, and always require a personal identification number (PIN). The entire EBT system must be online to process an EBT transaction.
|EBT Food or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) accounts||Clover must manually enable the EBT Food benefit for a merchant in the sandbox environment.|
- Use EBT Food to pay for qualifying food purchases and check their account balance.
- Swipe and also enter card manually.
Merchants can process a refund only to a cardholder's EBT Food account.
- Refunds in cash are not permitted.
- Cash back is not permitted.
If the EBT system is down at the time of purchase, Clover does not provide a way for the merchant to complete and record the transaction using a manual voucher.
|EBT Cash accounts||Cardholders can:|
- Use EBT Cash to pay for merchandise.
- Check their account balance.
- Swipe card for payment; manual card entry is not supported.
Merchants can process refunds in cash or store credit (including merchant gift cards).
- Refunds cannot be made directly to the EBT Cash account.
- Cash back with a purchase and cash withdrawals are not currently supported by Clover.
Updated about 2 months ago