The tutorial uses the following setup:
- JVM 1.8.0
- Gradle 2.3
- Android Studio 188.8.131.52
To prepare for developing a Clover app, generate a basic APK and register your app with the Clover platform.
- Create a new project in Android Studio. This tutorial uses the Blank Activity template. Set the minimum SDK to 17 and enter a package name. The package cannot begin with
- Before making any other changes to the app, generate a signed APK of the new project.
When signing your app in Android Studio, make sure your APK is signed with the V1 (Jar Signature) Signature Version only. V2 (Full APK Signature) is not supported. You can find more APK rules in Uploading & Testing APKs.
Before you can sideload your app onto your Clover Dev Kit or Emulator for testing, you must upload your APK on the App Releases page on the side-nav on the sandbox Developer Dashboard, and then download it. You only need to do this once. You can then sideload new versions of your app onto your Dev Kit or Emulator directly.
- On the sandbox Developer Dashboard click Create App to setup your app.
- On the Create App modal that appears, enter an app name and select the countries and Clover App Markets where you want your app available for Clover merchants.
- Click Create. The App Settings page for your app is now available on the Developer Dashboard.
An app requires at least one pricing option before merchants, including your test merchants, can install and launch your app.
After you set up your app, free subscription tiers are automatically added on the Pricing & Distribution page on the side-nav.
- Click Requested Permissions.
- On the Edit Requested Permissions modal that appears, add the Merchant Read and Inventory Read permissions. You will use these permissions for this tutorial.
If you change app permissions after a merchant (including your test merchant) has downloaded it, the new permissions will not take effect for that merchant unless the merchant uninstalls and reinstalls the app.
- Click App Releases on the side-nav.
- On the App Releases page, click UPLOAD APK.
- On the New Public Release modal that appears, click CHOOSE APK and select your signed APK. For more information, see uploading & testing APKs.
Once you've successfully uploaded the first APK for an app, all future APKs for that app must have the same package name and an incremented
- On the Market Listing page on the side-nav, click PREVIEW IN APP MARKET. You are redirected to the Merchant Dashboard for your test merchant account with an App Market preview of your app.
- Click Connect. When you accept the installation, the app is installed for your test merchant on the Clover DevKit or Emulator.
Updated 3 days ago