Clover’s secure semi-integration solution allows your existing point-of-sale software to accept EMV-ready, PCI compliant payments. The Clover platform offers a customer-facing experience that enhances the POS and handles all payment acceptance tasks.
Integrate your hardware and software with Clover’s hardware and software, making your point-of-sale EMV compliant quickly and easily.
Integrate with Clover devices to engage in a payments-as-a-service model. Choose to integrate with Clover devices designed for brick-and-mortar locations, or get a developer preview of mobile SDK libraries for bring-your-own-device scenarios.
Payments-as-a-Service integration options
You can link your point-of-sale with Clover payment devices in a number of different ways. Choose the method that works best for your technology and your business. Cut down your time-to-launch by leveraging our integration options.
Option 1: Full integration
In a full integration, your POS runs directly on Clover hardware as an app. Merchants can discover your app seamlessly within the Clover ecosystem, simply by searching for it in our App Market. You take care of the merchant experience, and let us take care of the payments.
This may be an attractive option if you’re building a new POS, or want to provide an all-in-one solution for your merchants.
For more information on how to fully integrate with Clover, please visit the
clover-android-sdk GitHub repository.
Option 2: Semi-integration
Semi-integrated solutions run on a combination of Clover and third-party hardware. Your point-of-sale software and hardware handle orders, while the Clover device handles payment processing. Our high-level SDKs make it easy to send messages back and forth between devices.
Keep your merchants satisfied with the system they’re used to, and let us take the hassle of EMV compliance away from you. After integrating with us, the Clover device becomes a plug-and-play solution for your merchant base.
If you have an existing POS with a strong merchant base and are looking for the fastest way to make that system EMV compliant, then this is probably the best option for you. Semi-integration is also a good choice:
- If you have a sophisticated system that’s difficult to move away from
- If you have a strong brand your merchants identify with
- If your POS system requires specialized hardware
Clover Semi-integration process
The API uses an asynchronous call model. Your point-of-sale initiates a request, Clover receives and processes the request, and then provides a response.
Our SDKs support sales, auths, pre-auths, tip adjusts, refunds, manual refunds, and other actions. By downloading a single library and installing our device drivers, you can connect and start taking payments in less than a day.
To find out how to semi-integrate, see our Getting Started tutorials.
Option 3: Clover Go BYOD (Beta)
Clover Go is Clover’s BYOD solution. This EMV-capable device attaches to a smartphone or tablet, quickly enabling native iOS and Android mobile apps to accept EMV chip cards or swipe transactions, with no EMV certification required on your end.
The Clover Go integration option is best for merchants on-the-go who want to enable their iOS and Android apps to accept payments. A Clover Go integration leverages a streamlined set of functions with a cost-effective and highly secure EMV-capable device.
For a developer preview of these SDKs, email email@example.com.
Clover Go integration process
The Clover Go SDK is embedded within the mobile POS application. It leverages an asynchronous call model to interact with the calling application. Once the SDK is initialized, the calling application can initiate a payment request. The request will activate the card reader connected to the mobile device. The customer can then use any of the following mechanisms for payment: card-present transactions, card-not-present transactions, and cash transactions. The SDK will interact with the payment gateway to process the transaction and provide a callback with the payment response. The calling application will have the ability to capture the signature.
The following diagram illustrates a semi-integrated transaction flow for the Clover Mini. Any POS system can integrate with the Clover Mini.
An example POS-to-Clover Mini transaction flow
You can customize the display for each step of the transaction for your merchants and their customers. As your merchants process a transaction, Clover reports the events to your point-of-sale and reflects them on the customer-facing Clover Mini.
- Your merchant adds items to a customer’s order using your point-of-sale.
You can customize the display of an itemized order on the Clover Mini.
- Your merchant initiates a payment.
- Your POS sends payment details to the Clover Mini.
If on-screen tipping is enabled, the customer will be able to select the tip amount on the screen. Alternatively, the merchant can choose to take tips on paper.
- Clover Mini proceeds to the payment screen, and the total amount appears in your point-of-sale.
- You can customize your POS to track the customer’s progress through the payment flow.
- The Clover Mini presents the customer with either the signature screen or the PIN entry screen.
- After the customer signs, the merchant can verify (and approve or reject) the signature from your POS.
- Once the merchant verifies the signature, either the customer or the merchant can select the receipt type (printed, email, text, or none).
- As the order is confirmed in your POS, the Clover Mini presents a customizable “Thank you” screen to the customer.
An example mobile POS-to-Clover Go transaction flow
This example demonstrates how your POS will interact with Clover Go. You can customize the display of each step of the transaction for your merchants and their customers. As your merchants process a transaction, Clover reports the events to your point-of-sale and reflects them on the smartphone or tablet.
- Your merchant adds items to a customer’s order using your POS on their smartphone or tablet.
- Your merchant finalizes the amount (including any tips) and initiates a payment.
- The customer submits a payment with the Clover Go card reader.
- The Clover Go SDK processes the transaction.
- Your merchant captures the customer’s signature (if applicable).
- Your merchant prints the receipt, or emails it to the customer. The SDK returns a URL pointing to the Clover receipt.
Clover’s competitive advantage
What you get with Clover:
- The ability to tap into a salesforce of over 4,000 people
- Award-winning, patented hardware design
- Unlimited batch capacity
- Included web services and feature-rich apps for back office functionality
- Simple integration (get a basic
salefunction up and running in less than a day)
- All receipts and customer signatures are stored forever and retrievable through a single web call
- Integrated camera/barcode scanner
What you get from our integration:
- Open source SDK
- High-level, totally transparent CloverConnector API
- Support your peripherals using our patented hub for weight scales, barcode scanners, and more
Want to run your point-of-sale on Clover hardware? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Clover features
- PCI compliant
- Takes all payments types (magnetic stripe, swipe, EMV Dip, NFC Contactless, manual entry)
- Auths, pre-auths, and sale transactions
- Voids, payment refunds, manual refunds (detached credits)
- Partial auths
- Store & Forward (take offline payments)
- 3G/4G connectivity (optional)
- Integrated printer with thermal paper
- 4 standard USB ports
- Detects duplicate transactions
- Manual card entry
- Customizable tip options
- Settings can be configured per-merchant