Clover’s secure semi-integration solution allows your existing point-of-sale software to accept EMV-ready, PCI-compliant payments, as part of a customer-facing experience that enhances the POS and handles all payment acceptance tasks.
Integrate your hardware and software with Clover’s hardware and software, making your point-of-sale EMV compliant quickly and easily
ISVs can integrate with Clover Minis, Mobiles, and Stations and engage in a payments-as-a-service model. When you integrate with Clover, your point-of-sale can become EMV compliant quickly and easily. We currently offer integration to devices suited for brick-and-mortar locations, as well as a developer preview of mobile SDK libraries that work for BYOD scenarios.
Payments-as-a-Service Integration Options
Clover provides a number of different ways to link your point of sale with our payment devices. Choose the method that works best for your technology, and for your business. Cut down your time to launch by leveraging our integration options.
Option 1: Full-Integration
ISVs that integrate directly on our hardware run their POS software as apps on Clover devices. Your merchants can discover us seamlessly within the Clover ecosystem, simply by searching for your app in our App Market. You take care of the merchant experience, and let us take care of the payments.
If you’re building a new POS, or if you’re interested in providing an all-in-one solution for your merchants, then this may be an attractive option.
For more information on how to fully integrate, please visit the clover-android-sdk github repo.
Option 2: Semi-Integration
ISVs that semi-integrate with third-party hardware will use our high-level SDKs to send messages to and receive messages from a Clover device. Keep your merchants satisfied with the system they’re used to, and let us take the hassle of EMV compliance away from you. After integrating with us, the Clover device becomes a plug-and-play solution for your merchant base.
If you have an existing POS with a strong merchant base and are looking for the fastest way to make that system EMV compliant, then this is probably the best option for you. Other scenarios where semi-integration is a good choice include:
- If you have a sophisticated system that is difficult to move away from
- If you have a strong brand that your merchants identify with
- If your POS system requires specialized hardware
For more information on how to fully integrate, please navigate to our getting started pages.
Clover Semi-Integration Process
The API uses an asynchronous call model. Your point-of-sale initiates a request, Clover receives and processes the request, then provides a response.
Current actions supported through our SDKs include sales, auths, pre-auths, tip adjusts, refunds, manual refunds, and more. By downloading a single library and installing our device drivers, you can connect and start taking payments in less than a day.
Option 3: Clover Go BYOD (Beta)
Clover Go is Clover’s BYOD solution. It is an EMV-capable device that connects with a smartphone or tablet, quickly enabling a native iOS or Android mobile application to accept EMV Chip cards or to swipe transactions without having to complete an EMV certification.
The Clover Go integration option is best for merchants on-the-go who would like to enable their mobile iOS or Android mobile app to accept payments. A Clover Go integration leverages a streamlined set of functions with a cost-effective and highly secure EMV-capable device.
For more information on how to get a developer preview of these SDKs, email email@example.com.
Clover Go Integration Process
Clover Go SDK is embedded within the mobile POS application. It leverages an asynchronous call model to interact with the calling application. Once the SDK is initialized, the calling application can initiate a payment request. The request will activate the card reader connected to the mobile device. The customer can then use any of the following mechanisms for payment: card-present transactions, card-not-present transactions, and cash transactions. The SDK will interact with the payment gateway to process the transaction and provide a callback with the payment response. The calling application will have the ability to capture the signature.
An example of a semi-integrated transaction flow is shown below. Any POS system can integrate with the Clover Mini.
An example POS to Clover Mini transaction flow
You can customize the display of each step of the transaction for your merchants and their customers. As your merchants process a transaction, the events are reported to your point-of-sale and reflected on the customer-facing Clover Mini.
- Your merchant adds items to a customer’s order using your point-of-sale.
You can customize the display of an itemized order on the Clover Mini.
- Your merchant initiates a payment.
- Payment details are sent to the Clover Mini.
If on-screen tipping is enabled, the customer will be able to select their tip amount on the screen. The merchant can also choose to take tips on paper instead.
- Clover Mini proceeds to the payment screen and the total amount charged can be viewed from your point-of-sale.
- You can customize the point-of-sale to track which state of the payment flow the customer is currently in.
- The customer may be presented with either the signature or PIN entry screens.
- After the customer signs, the merchant can verify (and approve or reject) the signature from your POS.
- Once the signature has been verified, either the customer or the merchant can select the type of receipt for the customer (printed, email, text, or none).
- As the order is confirmed on your point-of-sale, a customizable “Thank you” screen is presented to the customer.
An example Mobile POS to Clover Go Transaction Flow
You can customize the display of each step of the transaction for your merchants and their customers. As your merchants process a transaction, the events are reported to your point-of-sale and reflected on the smartphone/tablet.
- Your merchant adds items to a customer’s order using your point-of-sale on their smartphone/tablet.
- Your merchant finalizes the amount, including any tips, and initiates a payment.
- The customer uses the desired payment method with the Clover Go card reader.
- The Clover Go SDK will process the transaction.
- Your merchant can optionally be able to capture the customer signature.
- Your merchant can print or send the receipt to the customer. The SDK will return a web URL of the Clover receipt.
Clover’s Competitive Advantage
What you get with Clover:
- Possibility of tapping into a salesforce of over 4000 people
- Award-winning, patented hardware design
- Unlimited batch capacity
- Included web services and feature-rich apps for back office functionality
- Easy to integrate (get a simple sales function complete in less than a day)
- All receipts and customer signatures are stored forever and retrievable through a single web call
- Integrated camera/barcode-scanner
What you get from our integration:
- Open source SDK
- High-level, totally transparent CloverConnector API
- Support your peripherals using our patented hub for weight scales, barcode scanners, and more
Want to run your point-of-sale on Clover hardware? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Clover Features
- Takes all payments types (NFC, EMV, magnetic stripe, manual entry)
- Auths, pre-auths, and sale transactions
- Voids, payment refunds, manual refunds (detached credits)
- Partial auths
- Store & Forward (take offline payments)
- 3G/4G connectivity (optional)
- Integrated printer with thermal-paper
- 4 Standard USB Ports
- Detects duplicate transactions
- Manual Card Entry
- Customizable tip options
- Settings can be configured per-merchant