We recommend using a Clover Developer Kit to fully test your user experience and be to able to access hardware-specific functionality, such as NFC (like Apple Pay) and other Secure Payments, as well as printing, or scanning. However, if you are not relying on those functionalities, it is also possible to use an emulator to quickly prototype, develop, and test your Clover applications.
This documents the process of setting up a Genymotion emulator for Clover development, however, the configuration of any Android emulator should be similar.
Create a new emulator
Open up Genymotion and click on Add to begin the emulator setup flow. Select either Android version 4.2.2 (API 17) to emulate Clover Station, 4.4.4 (API 19) to emulate Clover Mini/Mobile, and Android 5.1.1 (API 22) to emulate Clover Flex.
We have built custom Android ROMs for our custom hardware (developed against 4.2.2 for Station, 4.4.4 for Mini/Mobile, & 5.1.1 for Flex). Deploying Clover on any other Android version is not supported.
Individual Device fact sheets can be found here: Clover Devices
- Select a version compatible with Clover (API 17 for Station, API 19 for Mini/Mobile, & API 22 for Flex)
- Name your emulator
- Configure your emulator’s screen resolution (1366×768 – 160dpi for Station, 1280×800 – 213dpi for Mini/Mobile, & 720×1280 – 320 dpi for Flex)
- Set your emulator to allow unknown sources in Security > Settings.
- Via your device’s Browser, navigate to the dev-apks page for the same environment as the test merchant you will associate the emulated device to.
- For the sandbox dev environment go to https://sandbox.dev.clover.com/developers/dev-apks
- For the production environment go to https://www.clover.com/developers/dev-apks
Download and install the latest versions of the Clover app (com.clover.engine) and App Updater app (com.clover.appupdater), from the correct dev-apks page for your merchant.
Current version: com.clover.engine-1864.apk
You only need to follow the following instructions if you are not using the current version of the Clover Engine.
Before you continue it is required to run the target_new_environment, script to properly set the emulator’s environment.
The tutorial to run the script via terminal can be found in our SDK on Github.
This step is required regardless of the server environment your merchant uses.
- Go to Settings > Add account. Select the Clover Launcher (Engine) and log in with your test merchant account credentials.
- The core apps will install automatically, and additional apps can be downloaded from the App Market.
The App Updater will run automatically and download all of the Clover system apps once you have logged in.
- After everything has been installed, tap the Home button to initiate the Home Launcher, then pick the option to use the Clover Launcher. Select Always to make it default. If this does not work, you can always follow the normal process of resetting your home launcher.
- Configuration complete! Welcome to your new Clover home screen.
For more information regarding the Clover interface and how to set up your merchant, check out our help site for Clover merchants: help.clover.com