We recommend using a Clover Developer Kit to fully test your user experience. This will also allow you to access hardware-specific functionality like NFC (e.g., Apple Pay), other secure payments, printing, and scanning. However, if you are not relying on those functionalities, it is also possible to use an emulator to quickly prototype, develop, and test your Clover applications.
This page documents the process of setting up a Genymotion emulator for Clover development. However, the configuration of any Android emulator should be similar.
Create a new emulator
Open up Genymotion and click Add to begin the emulator setup flow. Select Android version 4.2.2 (API 17) to emulate Clover Station, 4.4.4 (API 19) to emulate Clover Mini or Clover Mobile, or Android 5.1.1 (API 22) to emulate Clover Flex.
We have built custom Android ROMs for our custom hardware (developed against 4.2.2 for Clover Station, 4.4.4 for Clover Mini and Clover Mobile, and 5.1.1 for Clover Flex). Deploying Clover on any other Android version is not supported.
For more information, see the fact sheets for Clover Devices.
- Select a version compatible with Clover (API 17 for Clover Station, API 19 for Clover Mini or Clover Mobile, or API 22 for Clover Flex).
- Name your emulator.
- Configure your emulator’s screen resolution (1366×768 and 160dpi for Clover Station, 1280×800 and 213dpi for Clover Mini and Clover Mobile, or 720×1280 and 320dpi for Clover Flex).
- Set your emulator to allow unknown sources in Security > Settings.
- In your device’s Browser, navigate to the
dev-apkspage for the same environment as the test merchant you will associate the emulated device with.
- For the sandbox development environment, go to https://sandbox.dev.clover.com/developers/dev-apks.
- For the production environment, go to https://www.clover.com/developers/dev-apks.
Download and install the latest versions of the Clover app (
com.clover.engine) and App Updater app (
com.clover.appupdater)from the correct
dev-apkspage for your merchant.
You will only need to follow the instructions below if you are not using the current version of the Clover Engine.
Before you continue, you must run the target_new_environment script to properly set the emulator’s environment.
The tutorial to run the script in Terminal is available in our SDK GitHub repository.
You must complete this step regardless of the server environment your merchant uses.
- Go to Settings > Add account. Select the Clover Launcher (Engine) and log in with your test merchant account credentials.
- The core apps will install automatically. You can download additional apps from the Clover App Market.
The App Updater will run automatically and download all of the Clover system apps once you have logged in.
- Once everything has installed, tap the Home button to initiate the Home Launcher, then pick the option to use the Clover Launcher. Select Always to set it as the default. If this doesn’t work, you can reset your home launcher.
- Your configuration is complete! Welcome to your new Clover home screen.
For more information regarding the Clover interface and how to set up your merchant, check out our help site for Clover merchants.