We recommend using a Clover Developer Kit to fully test your user experience. This will also allow you to access hardware-specific functionality like NFC, other secure payments, printing, and scanning. However, if you are not relying on those functionalities, it is also possible to use an emulator to quickly prototype, develop, and test your Clover applications.
This page documents the process of setting up a Genymotion emulator for Clover development. However, the configuration of any Android emulator should be similar.
Create a new emulator
Open up Genymotion and click Add to begin the emulator setup flow.
We have built custom Android ROMs for our Clover hardware. Deploying Clover on any other Android versions are not supported.
For more information, see the fact sheets for Clover Devices.
- Select Android version 4.2.2 (API 17) to emulate Clover Station, 4.4.4 (API 19) to emulate Clover Mini or Clover Mobile, Android 5.1.1 (API 22) to emulate Clover Flex, or Android 7.0.0 (API 24, see note below) to emulate Clover Station (2018).
Android 6.0 introduced “grant at runtime” permissions: users grant permissions to apps while the app is running, not when they install the app.
If you are developing on a Clover emulator, target API 21 or lower. This will use the “grant at install” permission model, which is the model Clover devices follow. If you target API 23 or above and implement the “grant at runtime” flow, the same application will run correctly on Clover devices without modification.
- Name your emulator.
- Configure your emulator’s screen resolution (1366×768 and 160dpi for Clover Station, 1280×800 and 213dpi for Clover Mini and Clover Mobile, 720×1280 and 320dpi for Clover Flex, or 1920×1080 and 213dpi for Clover Station (2018)).
- Set your emulator to allow unknown sources in Security > Settings.
- In your device’s Browser, navigate to the
dev-apkspage for the same environment as the test merchant you will associate the emulated device with. Download and install the latest versions of the Clover app (
com.clover.engine) and App Updater app (
- For the sandbox development environment, go to https://sandbox.dev.clover.com/developers/dev-apks.
- For the production environment, go to https://www.clover.com/developers/dev-apks.
- Go to Settings > Add account. Select the Clover Launcher (Engine) and log in with your test merchant account credentials.
- The App Updater will run automatically and download all of the Clover system apps once you have logged in. You can download additional apps from the Clover App Market.
- Once everything has installed, tap the Home button to initiate the Home Launcher, then pick the option to use the Clover Launcher. Select Always to set it as the default. If this doesn’t work, you can reset your home launcher.
- Your configuration is complete! Welcome to your new Clover home screen.
For more information regarding the Clover interface and how to set up your merchant, check out our help site for Clover merchants.